What’s your inspiration for the work you do?
I grew up on the Gulf Coast, and my father’s family were these French Cajun people from the bayou and my mother’s family were these half-Irish, half-Choctaw Indian farmers. So on all sides, it was about an agrarian lifestyle. The Gulf Coast is a pretty insanely delicate ecosystem, so my father made sure I understood it. You never littered, you always turned lights off.
You have more than a million Twitter followers and are very active on Twitter. In your opinion, what role does social media play in conservation?
My opinion of social media is, social media changed the world. Social media is the reason this foundation exists and why it’s successful and becoming more successful every day. Whoever invented Twitter, I just want to kiss them. It’s just unbelievable the amount of information that travels in a nanosecond. I owe this foundation to its supporters and social media, bottom line. Facebook and Twitter saved the world.
- Video: Kat Graham Admires Ian Somerhalder
- Photos: Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder Halloween Costumes
- Video: Ian Somerhalder, Paul Wesley, and Nina Dobrev Photoshoot for Swedish TV6
- Vampire Diaries Cast Will Appear on MTV’s 10 On Top Tomorrow
- Video: The Vampire Diaries actors and actresses as rapping monsters
- Video: Clevver TV – ‘The Vampire Diaries’ Halloween Party
- TV Fanatic Spoiler – Sebastian Roches Gives Us A Little Something-Something
- More Photos of The Vampire Diaries Cast Halloween Costumes for ISF Empoweresque Event
- Ian Somerhalder Foundation T-Shirt Contest