Zap2it recently spoken to The Vampire Diaries costume designer Leigh Leverett about where she got those beautiful ball gowns that the characters Elena Gilbert (Nina Dobrev) and Caroline Forbes (Candice Accola) worn on last night’s episode 3.14 “Dangerous Liaisons.”
An exception would be the clothes Elena, Caroline, Stefan and Damon wore to a ball Klaus hosted in an episode that aired Feb. 9. Leverett searched for the perfect Cinderella-like dresses for Elena and Caroline and found two that are truly special.
“We used ‘Beauty and the Beast’ as a reference to mix it up from the slinky evening wear you normally see on the show,” she says.
“Elena is wearing a vintage dress that is from a great place in Atlanta called Miz Scarletts. She sells really expensive dresses from London and Paris, and the place is just this beautiful fantasy world of tulle and beading and really pretty stuff. The dress is a black sheer chiffon over black lace, and then the skirt part has four layers: black chiffon over black lace over a piece that has gold beading, and then under that is a piece of gold satin, and under that is the petticoat. I almost didn’t buy it because I thought it would be too sparkly, but then I just took it anyway because it’s a gorgeous dress, and the way the light hits it is perfect. I had found Caroline’s dress, and I needed one equal or better, which was hard to find. This had a sweetheart neckline, and it said Elena. The two of them are equal in value beautywise. We added gloves to make it a couple of steps above your normal evening wear almost as though it’s a period piece. Stefan’s tux is Armani. They’ve done a lot of rentals in the past, so we wanted the really nice designer tux for him.”
“This dress we got from Alberto Makali, the designer. What I love about Caroline’s dress is the way it’s cut and the silver beading. The silver and blue – I don’t know how to put it in words – a lot of times in shopping it just hits me that it’s perfect for that character. I really love the beading at the waist, and the bodice part is really exceptional and exquisite and so is the different layers of color in the tulle. The whole thing is just gorgeous. The wrap is separate because it’s really cold here while we are shooting. We went around and looked for different wraps, but that one was lighter and daintier and had a silver sheen, so it went better with the dress.”
- Vampire Diaries Spoilers from E!Online for Tonight’s Episode and The Insider talks to Julie Plec
- Vampire Diaries – Will There Be A Kiss ? on “Dangerous Liaisons”
- Vampire Diaries – Kiss Scene on Episode 314 “Dangerous Liaisons” + Damon and Elena
- Entertainment Weekly talks to The Vampire Diaries EP Julie Plec about Klaroline and more
- TV Line Interview with Candice Accola – Klaus, Caroline, and Tyler
- 6 Things That Will Happen in The Vampire Diaries Episode 314 “Dangerous Liaisons”
- Vampire Diaries – Will Elijah Be Killed?
- What’s Next for Damon and Elena?
- KSite Interview with Vampire Diaries EP Julie Plec